Almost two years have passed since the last stable release of Turpial but today that situation will change. Write down this day in your calendar because today I’m pleased to announce a new stable release: Turpial 3 is finally out!
I’ve worked hard on deliver a beauty, stable and fully featured application but without losing of sight the resource consumption, one of the most distinctive characteristics of Turpial so far. Main features of this version include:
- New backend on top of libturpial
- Rewrite of the whole interface using Qt
- Multiple accounts and multiple columns
- Pre-visualization of images and user avatars
- Messages queue
- Added support for Mac OS (and Windows theoretically)
- Broadcasting messages
- Cleaned and improved overall UI
- Improved user interaction
- Links, mentions and hashtags are clickable
- Enhanced Twitter search
- More services to short URLs and upload pictures
- Improved conversation interface
- Welcome screen
- Restored window geometry at startup
- Available in 11 languages: Catalan, German, Esperanto, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian (Russia) and Turkish
Because of the deadline, I haven’t had chance to deliver as much features as I would like, however I’ve a big To-Do list with things that I’ll be working on like:
- Enable filters (currently disabled because a bug with libturpial)
- Updates and notifications per column
- More social tools
- Show DMs as conversations
- Handle lists
- Improve support for Ubuntu Unity (and more OS stuffs)
- Option to open images in browser or in preview window
- Enable sounds and notifications in Mac OS X
- Streaming support
- Support for upload pictures with pic.twitter
- Button for manual refresh
There are things that I probably won’t touch in the mid-term like move columns or GIF support for the image preview window, so don’t ask for it.
In the next days I’ll be updating the download page and the site layout, so expect changes.
I would like to say thanks to translators, testers, bug reporters, packagers and to all the people that have helped and supported the project until today. This release is for you. Enjoy it!